Sunday, August 10, 2008

Training (or: bumbling idiocy)

Between adjusting a new bike, trip planning and exam preparation, I hardly had time to train: until yesterday, I had done about 5 40-mile rides since Climb to the Clouds on July 19, when I covered 106 mi while climbing Mt. Wachusett.

I decided that it would be wise to undertake some fairly strenuous distance sessions this weekend, leaving tomorrow open for the end of study and packing. That would give me a day of recovery before starting the journey.

Yesterday I left my car at a relative's house and rode home (10 mi), then swapped out a finicky cycling computer, in the process locking me out of my house. With absolutely nobody around, I had to be rescued by my neighbor's mom.

I was going to do Walden after that, but I had adjusted my seat too high and had to ride around looking for an auto garage with a wrench. So after riding 25 more miles, I found a hill close to my house and rode up it 10 times, then went home, for a total of 42 miles.

Today, assuming none of the same calamities befall me, I plan to do Inman to Lexington Green, with 10 climbs of Wildwood Hill (a 310-foot ascent), then lap between Lexington Green and Walden Pond 2-3 times. 65-80 miles, 4200-5000 feet of climb.

No comments: